The Narrabri Airport is located on Airport Road (Shire Road 8), on the left hand side of Kaputar Road when travelling towards Mt Kaputar National Park from Narrabri.
Information for Passengers and Flight Bookings
Narrabri now enjoys flights to Brisbane via Moree on Fly Corporate. For further information on this service or to book your seat please visit www.flycorporate.com.au or your nearest local Travel Agent.
The travel agent for Narrabri Shire is Hello World, 60 Maitland Street, Narrabri, (02) 6792 2555.
The Narrabri Taxi Service contact number is (02) 6792 2552.
The airport is within range of the network of Telstra (3G, 4G and GSM) and Optus (GSM) mobile phone networks.
Hire Car Services
Planning for the Future
Council completed an Airport Masterplan for the Narrabri Shire Airport. This document will help Council map out the future of the infrastructure and usage of the airport.
To view a copy of the Airport Masterplan please contact Council on (02) 6799 6877.
Information for Pilots
Narrabri Airport is located approximately 8km (by road) east of the Narrabri town centre and is owned and operated by Narrabri Shire Council. The Airport covers an area of approximately 218 hectares. The surrounding land is predominantly of a rural nature and is primarily used for agricultural purposes. Access to the airport from Narrabri town centre is via Old Gunnedah Road, Kaputar Road and the Airport Road.
Narrabri Airport has two runways:
Two (2) sealed taxiways provide access between Runway 18/36 and the terminal apron. The terminal apron can accommodate up to two (2) aircraft the size of the Fokker 100, plus one (1) Fokker 70 and also one (1) Beech 350. A general aviation apron consisting of gravel and grassed surfaces is available at the northern end of the main apron for aircraft not greater than 8,000kg.
Narrabri Airport provides the economic life line for the resource industry and the broader regional community. Improved air services will contribute to population growth and service improvement making Narrabri Shire a more attractive place to live for both existing residents and prospective residents. It will provide improved access for health care professionals and access to education and training opportunities. The social outcomes will be a stronger more resilient community that has access to the services it needs and is able to manage the wide range of stresses and opportunities that the mining industry provides.
The ICAO international designation of the airport is YNBR. The IATA designation is NAA.
Technical specifications for the airport are specified in ERSA (En Route Supplement) which is published by Air Services Australia.
Runway 09/27 is generally closed when approximately 15mm-20mm of rainfall is received in the previous 24hrs.
AVGAS and Jet A1 is available at the Narrabri Airport see ERSA for contact details.
Landing, parking and passenger fees are payable for the Narrabri Aerodrome and can be obtained from the current Fees and Charges.
All general enquiries relating to the Narrabri Airport should be directed to the Airport Manager on (02) 6799 6877 during business hours or via email.
History of Aviation in Narrabri Shire
Community interest in opening an airport at Narrabri was initiated by the arrival of Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith in his famous monoplane “Southern Cross” in June 1933.
The Narrabri Land Board granted the current airport site to the Narrabri Municipal Council in 1935 with the Council allocating 500 pounds to create a safe runway for aircraft. The Airport was officially opened on Saturday 5th June 1937.
The Narrabri Aero Club commenced in early 1939 and a regular air service was provided between Narrabri and Sydney in 1938 but ceased during the Second World War. The current runway and terminal building at Narrabri Airport was opened on February 24th 1962.
A regular air passenger service to Sydney has been available since 1965.
The Wee Waa airport was opened in 1965 and was used primarily by agricultural aircraft. Boggabri was the first community to be provided with air travel by Qantaslink with a Tiger Moth (DH82) air service commencing on the 11th August 1949 which connected the community to Tamworth.