Dog Pounds and Adoption
Council's main impounding facility is located in Narrabri adjacent to the saleyards. The facility is not manned. Animals can only be viewed / surrendered / released or impounded by prior arrangement with the Ranger. Please contact (02) 6799 6855 to arrange for any of these services.
Dogs that are injured or suffering should not be delivered to the pound and should be delivered to the closest vet clinic.
A person wishing to retrieve an impounded animal may be liable for the following charges (the most up to date Fees and Charges can be viewed on this website):
• Registration fee if unregistered;
• Approximately $60.00 (Vet Charge) micro-chipping fee if the animal is not micro-chipped;
• Minimum $50.00 impounding fee + a $25 sustenance fee that is charged for their care and food whilst impounded.
• Any veterinary costs incurred;
• Payment of any damages that the animal may have caused whilst roaming ie, injury to stock, another animal or property damage; and
• Payment of any penalty notice issued.
Pound Dogs for Adoption
Please visit Council's Facebook page for updates on dogs available at Narrabri Pound. https://www.facebook.com/heartofthenorthwest/
Please contact the local vet for micro-chipping fees and Council for registration fees and appointments on 6799 6855.
*All pound dogs are required to be microchipped and registered as part of the rehoming process.
For further information please contact Council’s Ranger within the Development and Economic Growth Department on 6799 6855.